Thursday, January 15, 2009

C.H.A.N.G.E.??

As much as I love the idea of having a black President, I don’t want people to think that all prayers will be answered right off the back, if at all. He can only do what he can do. We will have the same problems we always have had and maybe more will come to the forefront. It’s amazing to me how many people believe that racism will be erased because of his presidency. I see just the opposite happening.

More than ever, racial jokes, comments, and conversations have been pushed more and more and are said openly whereas before, they were said, but done so quietly. The racial conversations being out in the open isn’t always a bad thing. More often then not, these need to occur. But it’s the bashing that I’m talking about here.

Of course, I’m fully aware that whites voted for him just as blacks did to place him in office, but I also am aware of what is said around me too. C.H.A.N.G.E. ~ what Obama stood for throughout his campaign, stood for so many things for some Americans, but some others still uttered: Can’t Help A Nigger Get Elected. Maybe things truly don’t change…

I have advocated during this campaign more than I ever had before. I watched every debate, watched when Oprah endorsed him even prior to him announcing that he would run. I had my heart set on Obama winning! My family, my kids watched with me, just as excited as I was. At the end of one of the debates, my oldest daughter says to me, “Mom, I hope he doesn’t win.” I was crushed and couldn’t understand why she would say such a thing. So I had to ask her, “Why?” She then replied, “Cuz, someone is going to kill him! If they don’t, they will try.” I sat for a minute and then said, “I’m scared too. I hope they don’t.” I had secretly been thinking the same thing the whole time, but never voiced it. It’s not like several well known black men who had very strong views and spoke publicly about those views haven’t been murdered. Hell, even those who aren’t famous get killed in the streets and in their homes everyday! How else was I to answer her? I’m also aware that each group of people, black, white and every group in-between have lost someone in a murder, but I’m not focusing on that at this time.

Inauguration day is just around the corner! I can’t wait! But at the same time, I’m nervous as hell for them and will remain so from now on...

No comments: