Thursday, July 23, 2009

Obama's Opinion of Dr. Gates Arrest


I don't know--not having been there and not seeing all the facts--what role Race played in that; but I think it's fair to say: 1) Any of us would be pretty angry. 2) That the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home. 3) What I think we know, separate and apart from this incident, is that there is a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement, disproportionately. That's just a fact. ... And that is a sign, an example, of how Race remains a factor in this society.

That doesn't lessen the incredible progress that has been made--I'm standing here as testimony to the progress that has been made.

And, yet, the fact of the matter is that this still haunts us. ... The fact that Blacks and Hispanics are picked up more frequently, and often time for no cause, casts suspicion even when there is good cause. And that's why I think the more that we're working with local law enforcement to improve policing techniques, so that we're eliminating potential bias, the safer everybody's going to be.

My thoughts are all over the place on this one... I've been reading up on the Gates story since last week when it first occurred. Of course I only know what I've read and what I've seen on the news, because, like most of us, we weren't there to witness this for ourselves. HOWEVER, from what I know, this story is not surprising. It's not surprising because things like this happen everyday, but when things happen to well known people ONLY THEN does it get reported on the news and becomes a big deal.

I know someone reading this will say, "Here you go again, Tiki... Talking about racism." Yeah, you're right, here I am again.. And guess what? I will continue to talk about it until the day it ceases from occuring.. When will that be?? Oh yeah, never... And I did refrain from writing about the black children a couple of weeks ago who were told that they couldn't swim with the white kids in a pool in Philly because they would, as John Duesler - the President of the Valley Swim Club said in a statement "There was concern that the kids would change the complexion... and the atmosphere of the club." There I go on one of my tangents again..

Let me begin with the "Neighbor". Did she not recognize Mr. Gates? Who breaks into a home with luggage? He was returning home from a trip... If she noticed that someone was "breaking in" to the house, shouldn't she have also noticed the luggage? Nosey ass.. Many people that I've heard discussing this have had all kinds of things to say about her like: maybe she didn't want black folks in her neighborhood, she works at Harvard with Mr. Gates - maybe something happened at work that she didn't like and wanted to get revenge... People and their speculations... Unfortunately, her name was published too so maybe she will begin to mind her own business from now on.

The cops... They claim that they arrested Mr. Gates for being "unruly". Now you tell me.. Do you know someone that would be arrested for doing nothing wrong that WOULDN'T be unruly? I know peeps who are unruly for no reason at all. lol!! Why wouldn't/shouldn't he be unruly? He showed the cops two forms of ID both showing his address, proving that he lived there and they STILL arrested him?? Yes, unruly is less than what I would've been... Did they just arrest him for "talking back" to them? This is supposed to be a place of "freedom of speech" or does that not count when dealing with the po po?

The last thing I read about this was that Mr. Gates was not pressing charges.. WTF? I'm sorry, but being arrested for something that I did not do is grounds for litigation. I'll take my punishment like the next man, but when it comes down to me being innocent, that's a different story. Shouldn't he press charges so that this doesn't happen again? So he can make an example out of himself and others in his situation? Oh yeah, you're right... This WILL happen again regardless..

No comments: